IStip NQT Survey
This year, we received 251 responses from the cohort of 1041 NQTs (24.1%). In each case, the figure in brackets is the equivalent result for the preceding year (2014-2015) where applicable/available.
1. Communication with IStip
Please rate the following as Excellent/Good/Satisfactory/Poor
IStip email contact:
- Excellent: 58.9% (49.0%)
- Good: 30.2% (44.0%)
- Satisfactory: 6.5% (2.0%)
- Poor: 0.0% (2.0%)
- No contact: 4.4% (3.0%)
IStip telephone contact:
- Excellent: 8.0% (10.0%)
- Good: 9.2% (8.0%)
- Satisfactory: 0.4% (3.0%)
- Poor: 0.0% (0.0%)
- No contact: 82.4% (79.0%)
If you rate either as ‘poor’, could you say why?
- (None rated as poor)
2. Quality Assurance Visit
Has your school had a Quality Assurance visit from one of our QA Officers in the past year?:
- Yes: 42.0% (49.0%)
- No: 58.0% (51.0%)
If yes, was it helpful?
- Yes: 95.0% (89.0%)
- No: 5.0% (11.0%)
If no, could you say why?
- I fail to see how it was meant to be helpful, or how anyone could consider it to be helpful. Printing and collating all the (excessive) paperwork took a great deal of time as did the meeting. Whilst I won’t go as quite as far as saying it was actively unhelpful (since it was merely an inconvenience) the QA visit was much closer to being unhelpful than it was to being even a little bit helpful.
- I’m not sure what it’s supposed to help with – they checked I was doing everything correctly, had a meeting with my mentor and other members of the school, and then left, happy, so far as I know, with what was being done.
Any additional comments regarding the visit?
- It was good to get reassurance that I was documenting my progress in the correct way.
- I felt that it was really helpful and allowed me time to talk over any queries that I had regarding paperwork and the entire process. This helped a lot with workload.
- The person who conducted my visit was very welcoming and encouraging.
- It helped me to know what was expected of me at school. As the school had me doing a little too much I didn’t know at the time if this was right until the visit happened when I was made aware of it.
- Valuable advice was given regarding feedback of observations. THANKS
- It really helped to focus everyone involved and made the expectations extremely clear.
- Really helpful advice for making sure the folder has everything it needs.
- Good advice, tailored to the individual based upon their files
- Very straight forward and stress free.
- Very informative and useful. The QA Officer was insightful and helpful.
- I started the NQT year with mentor difficulties and I feel that the QA officer really listened to what I had to say.
3. Regional meetings
Did you receive notification in advance of the meeting (please mark as appropriate)?
- From IStip: 12.0% (13.0%)
- From the centre/school: 9.0% (7.0%)
- From both: 79.0% (80.0%)
How did you find the meetings?
- The term 1 meeting was a little late, as everything that was covered I had already spent weeks doing.
- Term 1 meeting was very useful because we were given further instruction about the year, its demands and the paperwork. This has really helped to inform the way I have filled out the paperwork all year.
- Notice from the centre was very short; on one occasion details of the start time etc. were received only 2 days before the meeting.
- The panels were particularly informative, both from parents and from staff. Sharing of information was also useful.
- I felt that they were really good if you were in your first year of teaching. In my case this was a bit different as I have been teaching for more than a year.
- Very well organised. A good mixture of talks across lots of different topics. Added greatly to professional development.
- One or two subject days would be helpful where all of, in my case, the Music teachers from a given area could get together to share ideas and discuss our day-to-day jobs.
- It would be really nice to have, perhaps, a single large gathering of all the ISTIP NQTs, not just from the Midlands, once over the year.
- Useful: 70.1% (67.0%)
- Neutral: 14.3% (14.0%)
- Poor: 3.3% (2.5%)
- Did not attend: 12.3% (16.5%)
- Useful: 73.0% (68.5%)
- Neutral: 18.1% (15.0%)
- Poor: 2.1% (4.0%)
- Did not attend: 6.8% (12.5%)
- Useful: 77.3% (65.5%)
- Neutral: 12.2% (15.5%)
- Poor: 2.5% (2.3%)
- Did not attend: 8.0% (17.2%)
4. Welcome Pack
Did you receive a copy of the Welcome Pack?
- Yes: 96.0% (90.0%)
- No: 4.0% (10.0%)
Did you find it useful?
- Yes: 95.0% (92.0%)
- No: 4.0% (8.0%)
Any other comments about the Welcome Pack
- Very thorough.
- The exemplars of evidence were particularly useful.
- Have never used it.
- Effective layout. Good clarity.
- It was good to have all of the information in one handy pack.
- Very long. A short more to the point version would be useful.
- I cannot remember ever using the welcome pack so I don’t think I found it useful, however it could be that I used it at the beginning and it was sufficiently useful that I didn’t need to look at it again…/li>
- Lots of useful and relevant material for reference over the course of the year.
5. IStip Paperwork/Pro Formas
Have you found them helpful?
- Yes: 95.2% (92.0%)
- No: 4.8% (8.0%)
Which particular forms did you find most useful? Most useful, most mentioned pro formas:
- Weekly meeting forms.
- Self-evaluation forms.
- Example pro formas.
- Evidence tracker.
- Formal Progress reviews.
- Lesson observations.
Any other comments about the paperwork:
- Good level of paperwork – no real duplication of work (in contrast to last year!!!)
- The part 2 standards are very difficult to show ‘progress’ if you already follow the rules, act appropriately, dress appropriately, complete forms successfully, are careful to follow procedures and are always on time.
- Some of the paperwork can get quite repetitive at times.
- Minutes of regular meeting proforma felt too rigid.
- No forms for any additional evidence i.e. self-reflections of learning outside of lessons.
- There should be a bigger stress on NQTs not completing a preparation for progress review document if their evidence tracker is sufficiently detailed.
- A really useful way to keep track efficiently.
- Great that it can all be done electronically as easy to access and you don’t lose any of the paperwork.
6. Online NQT Manager
Have you found the system easy to access?
- Yes: 97.6% (94.0%)
- No: 2.4% (6.0%)
Have you found the system easy to use?
- Yes: 97.5% (97.0%)
- No: 2.5% (3.0%)
Have you any additional comments about NQT Manager?
- I found the notification emails useful (when assignments are open/need signing etc.)
- I haven’t liked the fact that my NQT mentor has been able to see what I have written. I would like a forum where I can confidentially voice how I have felt this terms progress has been.
- The NQT should be able to start adding comments to the online assessment form at the end of each term before the mentor has finished doing their bit. This would allow for a more efficient/quicker filling in of the assessment.
- Why is the NQT login name so random? Why not use surname and school name, or surname and a number so that it is (at least vaguely) memorable? It is very irritating having to look up the number every time I wish to access the site.
7. IStip Website
Have you found visited www.istip.co.uk this year?
- Yes: 71.0% (79.0%)
- No: 29.0% (21.0%)
- Yes: 99.5% (99.0%)
- No: 0.5% (1.0%)
- Yes: 98.3% (96.0%)
- No: 1.7% (4.0%)
- Like the section enabling pro forma download.
- Training on-the-job (based in a school): 47.6% (46.0%)
- Training in a higher education institute (with school placements): 52.4% (54.0%)
- Excellent: 55.6% (55.0%)
- Good: 29.5% (34.0%)
- Satisfactory: 12.3% (10.0%)
- Poor: 2.6% (1.0%)
- Excellent: 73.5% (86.0%)
- Good: 20.2% (9.5%)
- Satisfactory: 5.9% (4.5%)
- Poor: 0.4% (0.0%)
- Excellent: 81.8% (83.0%)
- Good: 14.1% (12.5%)
- Satisfactory: 3.7% (3.0%)
- Poor: 0.4% (1.5%)
- Overall, it has been very good. The expectations and deadlines have been made very clear and the documents and submissions are easy to access and use. There was also always support available via email/telephone which meant seeking clarification or support with issues was easy. I would highly recommend this induction to others!
- My mentor gave the perfect balance of support and advice and let me learn by my own mistakes/feedback.
- My induction year has been amazing. The quality of the support has been exceptional. I have been given all NQT training and information but I have been allowed to develop and feel part of the team, not singled out as being an NQT. I have been welcomed to the staff and I have felt valued.
- Everyone I dealt with at Istip made the process very straight forward and were all very helpful. Thank you!
- I feel highly privileged to have had the support that I have received this year.
- Overall an excellent, and very helpful, experience. However, on two different occasions I was questioned about the number of days I worked, with ISTIP stating that I could not possibly have worked as many days as I did. However, in a boarding school it is likely that every day is a work day, especially when you have Saturday lessons and afternoon matches, as well as duty in the evenings on a Saturday and Sunday. Could this be altered on the forms to take into account the Boarding School experience?
- I really benefitted from having a non-linguist as a mentor and tutor so that I could gain an alternative perspective to my PGCE year.
- Yes: 98.0% (99.0%)
- No: 2.0% (1.0%)
- I have found it too difficult to maintain a sustainable work/life balance this year, and feel like I would like to try another job with a different rhythm before committing to teaching at this stage in my life.
- I will tutor instead of teaching as unfortunately, I haven’t found a school for my subjects, this school is too far away from my home.
- I am taking a break to pursue a different job. I may return to teaching in future, but at the moment I am unsure.
- New job working within school PPA cover and holiday camps.
- Yes in the future but next year I have had an opportunity to be employed in another area on a short term basis. After which I will return to teaching.
- Yes: 84.2% (85.0%)
- No: 15.8% (15.0%)
- Maternity cover ends (fixed term contract).
- Opportunity closer to where I live.
- Going to work abroad.
- Moving into the day school system after 5 years living/working in a boarding school.
- I have been offered a leadership position in a new school.
- End of contract.
Have you found the website easy to access?
Have you found the website easy to use?
Have you any additional comments about www.istip.co.uk?
8. Your Induction Year/Support
By what route did you gain QTS?
How would you rate the support you received this year from (where relevant):
The Induction Tutor
The Subject/KS Mentor
Please feel free to make additional comments upon your induction experience:
Are you planning to stay in teaching next year?
If no, could you say why?
Are you remaining in your present school next year?
If no, could you say why?
If you wish to apply for a copy of the full IStip NQT Survey, please contact one of the IStip officers at headquarters.
You can also read results of earlier IStip NQT surveys.