How induction will look to you
Induction information for ECTs
- Check you have received your login for the online NQT Manager (you need this to digitally sign your reviews & assessments); sign in and set up your password and agree our privacy statement
- Book onto the next available introduction to IStip webinar OR arrange with Tamazin Steele to access the video we supply (whichever is more convenient for you / if the timings are out to attend the webinar)
- Complete the IStip pre induction checklist with your tutor/mentor
- Meet with your tutor/mentor and look through the IStip ECT checklist to see what needs to be done in each term of your induction
- Agree regular mentor meeting slots
- Agree dates with your tutor/coordinator for your progress checks/reviews at each half term point
- Set up a date for the first formal lesson observation with your tutor (within 4 weeks of your starting)
- Put the IStip CPD programme dates for the term into your diaries
You are entitled to an ECF-based programme of support. Your school will choose either a Core ECF programme or a School Based ECF programme.
Regular meetings with a mentor should be held throughout the year. These should be based around the ECF and the your individual needs.
You should be formally observed (against the Teachers’ Standards)
Reviews of your progress will be completed online in terms 1, 2, 4, 5
Formal assessments will be completed at the end of year 1 and in term 3 of year 2
Targets should be set, and reviewed
You should gather evidence of your progress against the Standards
Further information and paperwork can be found in the resources section of the NQT Manager
Troubleshooting: what to do if you experience difficulties
You probably won’t, and the vast majority of ECTs find the year to be a positive and rewarding experience.
If you should experience any difficulties you don’t feel can be resolved within the school, or you have been told you are at risk of failing the year, then please get in touch with us. You should also read section 4 of the Statutory Guidance.
IStip support visits
IStip visits some 40% of each ECT cohort every year. The visits are supportive and give you an opportunity to ask questions and seek clarity.
If there are issues around a school’s compliance with the Statutory Guidance and Regulations, we will work with you to find a solution.