Induction Tutor Survey
Each year we send our Induction Tutors and Mentors a brief survey to obtain their views about the IStip service, including training courses offered, and the quality assurance visit.
This year, 246 of 1151 emailed completed the survey (21%). All tutors were emailed, but not all had NQTs. In each case, the figure in brackets is for 2014-2015 where applicable and available.
Please rate the following as Excellent/Good/Satisfactory/Poor
IStip email contact:
- Excellent: 87.8% (79%)
- Good: 9.3% (16%)
- Satisfactory: 0.4% (2%)
- Poor: 0.0% (0.0%)
- No contact: 2.4% (3.0%)
- Excellent: 46.7% (42.0%)
- Good: 6.1% (8.0%)
- Satisfactory: 0.4% (0.5%)
- Poor: 0.0% (0.5%)
- No contact: 46.9% (49.0%)
- Quick and efficient.
- I am always pleased that there is someone at the end of the phone to answer the queries that crop up over the year.
- It was difficult to get in touch with somebody to speak to during the school holidays.
2. Quality Assurance
Has your school had a Quality Assurance visit in the past year?
- Yes: 42.3% (40.0%)
- No: 56.5% (59.0%)
- Not sure: 1.2% (1.0%)
If yes, was it helpful?
- Yes: 100.0% (97.0%)
- No: 0.0% (2.0%)
- Yes and No: 0.0% (1.0%)
- Any additional comments regarding the visit?
- Very professional visit. Very thorough scrutiny of the evidence.
- Practical and pragmatic approach
- Useful suggestions
- Our QA was carried out via Skype. I found the process to be useful and informative
- Good reassurance
- A genuinely positive process for all involved
- Could have been a bit more supportive
Have you attended IStip training this year?
- Yes: 42.6% (36.0%)
- No: 57.4% (64.0%)
Was it helpful?
- Yes: 89.7% (80.0%)
- No: 0.0% (0.0%)
- N/A: 10.3% (20.0%) [Note: training was due to take place in the summer term]
Any additional comments regarding the training?
- A very useful refresher.
- Extremely helpful and informative.
- Useful, to the point and well delivered.
- It really helped to get the volume of paperwork into order.
- group discussions were particularly helpful.
- Presenters made it interesting.
- I feel that EY’s and KS 1 NQT training should have a portion of the day to concentrate on these two key stages.
4. IStip Paperwork/Pro Formas
Have you found this helpful?
- Yes: 98.0% (91.0%)
- No: 0.0% (1.5%)
- Yes and No: 1.6% (4%)
- N/A: 0.4% (3.5%)
Which particular forms did you find most useful? Listed in order of popularity:
- Exemplars (3)
- Evidence tracker (1)
- Lesson Observation Form (2)
- Progress Review Meeting Forms (4)
- Action/Development Plan (7)
- Timeline (6)
- Regular Meeting Minutes (5)
Any other comments about the paperwork:
- Clear and easy to use.
- Ensure that consistency of approach can be achieved.
- Good system – works well.
- After the training it is much easier to get to grips with.
- There is a lot of it.
- The form to record weekly meetings is confusing with so many sections.
- We found completing one of the half termly progress reviews tricky this year, as we had a four-week half term in the Spring.
- Dual entry on minutes and evidence tracker. (not trained)
5. Online NQT Manager
Have you registered an NQT onto the NQT Manager system this year?
- Yes: 84.7% (82.0%)
- No: 15.3% (18.0%)
Have you found the system easy to access?
- Yes: 98.1% (99.5%)
- No: 0.0% (0.5%)
- Yes and no: 1.9% (N/A)
Have you found the system easy to use?
- Yes: 98.5% (99.0%)
- No: 0.5% (1.0%)
- Yes and no: 1.0% (N/A)
Have you any additional comments about NQT Manager?
- Clear, easy to use and very helpful.
- Prompts for Headteacher’s comments/signature particularly useful.
- The text entry process for the assessment forms isn’t particularly easy.
- It is harder to use if you have not got a straight forward ‘one year NQT’ i.e. a part timer.
6. IStip website
Have you visited www.istip.co.uk this year?
- Yes: 90.4% (90.0%)
- No: 9.6% (10.0%)
Have you found the website easy to access?
- Yes: 98.1% (99%)
- No: 9.6% (1%)
- Yes and no: 1.9% (N/A)
Have you found the website easy to use?
- Yes: 97.3% (99%)
- No: 0.9% (1%)
- Yes and no: 1.8% (N/A)
Have you any additional comments about www.istip.co.uk?
- Clearly signposted.
- Lots of information.
- It is very useful to be able to download all the necessary paperwork.
- I used the links in emails to access what I needed.
7. Is there any further support we could offer you?
- Training on how to observe lessons.
- Make the job of a school’s NQT manager much clearer. Offer them a separate/extra course?
- Is there any way that there could be a phone discussion to ensure that the IT/Mentor are on the right track to support them.
- More specific and practical activities to implement in the classroom for each standard to give NQTs different things to try out.
- No – I’ve really found all the support brilliant – thank you!
8. Do you have any other comments about IStip?
- Thank you for all the help and support throughout the year. You have provided an excellent service.
- I thoroughly enjoy working with IStip – support is very strong.
- I have felt well informed and when necessary well supported in the process.
- You run a robust and efficient system that all parties have faith in.
- Judith and Tamazin have both been very helpful this year; emails are answered promptly, and solutions always found! Thank you.
- The quality of support is absolutely outstanding; thanks so much to you and your team for all that you do.
- The feedback on assessment reports is useful and timely.
- The NQTs always have very positive comments about the regional meetings.
- Make this form electronic – easier for you and us!
You can also review the results of earlier Induction Tutor surveys.